Hurricane Harvey Update and Thanks
It's true for me, and I'm sure for you, that the last month around here has been a blur. I can't remember a time when GfBC was involved in so many different areas of ministry all at one time. (Continue reading below gallery)
I want to say thank you to all the people at GfBC who have helped in so many different areas over the past month. Our deacons and members of this body were incredibly active over the last month to care for our body and provide ministry to those in need. You have all been a living example of Colossians 3:23-24:
“Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.”
(Colossians 3:23–24 ESV)
Many of you worked in an area or two, but perhaps you are unaware of all the different ways GfBC has been working over the past month. We wanted to provide you with a list of some of the things we have done.
- We had teams working in at least eight homes doing muck out work.
- We have had teams sorting boxes and cleaning.
- We have provided bedding for hosting families long term.
- We have been dismantling broken down fencing
- GfBC purchased school uniforms and supplies for a family.
- Bought and delivered a dehumidifier for a family.
- We cooked countless meals and took bottled water to those working.
- We helped with car repairs for those who had their cars flooded.
- We have hosted out of town crews as they came in work over the last month.
- We had members going and feeding people in Beaumont and Port Arthur while doing street evangelism (preaching from the back of a BOAT!!!).
In all, about 31 people provided some assistance with countless others providing prayer and financial support for these projects.
Amazingly, we still have work to do. Our building is also in need of repair. We have been getting quotes over the last month for a much-needed roof replacement. The latest estimates are well over $50k!! But, as has happened since the beginning, God has already begun providing for those needs. The ways that people have given continue to amaze me.
Please continue to pray for the church and for those who are still involved with cleaning, mucking, remodeling, and all the other things that go with the aftermath of a hurricane of the magnitude of Harvey. While you're praying, enjoy these pictures of the work that your brothers and sisters in Christ have done.